Brooklyn, NSW: kayak trip

The mouth of the Hawkesbury river.  I’ve seen it from the train to the Central coast of NSW. I have driven on the expressway from Sydney as well, glancing longingly down the valley and at the forked entries of the river and creek tributaries entering the mouth. It has been a long time coming, now it’s time to paddle on it.
I found a place to hire a kayak in Brooklyn  (Hawkesbury River Kayaks, fantastic service)  and I enlisted the interested of my good friend Livio to come along with me on the first day.

The map shows where I visited on my trip:

DAY 1

Livio accompanied my on the first day to Cottage point. We had calm waters to start with, and some nice kayaks to paddle on a sunny day, what more could you ask for ?
At about 8:45 we set off on our journey. After an hour or so we stopped at a nice beach.  There are not many beaches around, so this was a welcome stop.
We arrive at Cottage point Kiosk at about 11:30am. This is a delightful place to stop for lunch, being right on the water front with a jetty it was very handy.
We both managed to extricate ourselves from our vessels without incident.
Our burgers were huge. I am not sure how we consumed them, but somehow we did, along with some cooling refreshment to suit the hot sunny day.
I was initially planning on going all the way down Cowan creek, but given that Livio is not an experienced paddler and the wind was picking up we elected to return to base. We stopped by on a beach for a brief stop before heading back. It had some lovely eroded sandstone formations and lots of ants to keep us honest.
I left Livio at around 4:30 pm as he needed to get home, he had done a good distance of 23km or so.
I left to seek a suitable place to camp. Unfortunately, anywhere in proximity to Brooklyn is a home base for alcoholic homeless people so I had to go further afield. There are not many sites to be had as there are houses here and there and thick shrubby shores preventing access. I paddled under the highway bridge and headed towards Pelican Island.  The wind was getting strong and the tide going out sending small standing waves against me. A visit to Pelican Island – no camping permitted at the jetty.
I was almost beyond care about regulations, having travelled over 9 hours and 36km in the hot sun, wind and tide.  I did eventually find a suitable site just before sunset.

DAY 2

In the morning I woke at 5:30am  to wonderful windless mirror smooth watery scene.
I left camp at about 8:30am. Paddling down Berowra creek in the early morning was so serene
The creek narrows and the foliage enters the water. I take my time to absorb and take it all in.  There is no rush.
Eventually I got to Crosslands Reserve  at about 2pm and set up camp there. It is a large reserve, well set up with clean toilets and water.
The neighbours were very pleasant too and keep very much to themselves.
Having travelled around 16km
I tried to do some more exploring downstream, but ran out of water as the tide was on its way out.

DAY 3

I leave camp and headed back up the creek, stopping at the Berowra creek ferry. The car ferries on the Hawkesbury and its tributaries are quaint and have that nostalgic era charm about them. I hope they remain for a long time yet.
8:30 and it’s time to have breakfast at this charming place by the ferry.
I wonder how much property is around here ? Probably out of my budget.
As I paddled there are plenty of fish jumping around, most likely mullet, and the odd jellyfish.
I decided to check out Marramarra creek. It was a bit tricky with the oyster farms but once through them the paddling was straightforward. I find a nice camp site in the Marramarra national park by the river bank.
(National Park blurb)
Marramarra National Park is one of the Hawkesbury’s best-kept secrets and has to be among the most exciting national parks in the country. Hidden away in the northern outskirts of Sydney at the junction of Hawkesbury River and Berowra Creek, it’s a peaceful pocket of Aussie bush on Sydney’s doorstep, just waiting to be explored.
It’s so close to the city, but you’ll barely see another soul. Go boating, kayaking and canoeing on the beautiful waters of Hawkesbury River and Marramarra Creek. Enjoy bushwalking on the many walking tracks and go cycling on your mountain bike along Canoelands Ridge management trail. Take in spectacular views while discovering more about the area’s Aboriginal heritage, and see historic heritage sites from early European settlement.
I had to negotiate terms with the locals before landing however.
The Marramarra creek was a good finish to my paddle.
I covered 25km of paddling distance today, fully relaxed as the going was easy (apart from the technical process of navigating oyster beds !
The Hawkesbury: a nostalgic overview of Stuart’s paddling history.
It has been years since I have kayaked on the Hawkesbury river. I used to water ski with my neighbours as a teenager at Sackville and hadn’t been there since – not that I can remember anyway. When I was 16 and 17 (1978,1979 !) I did the Hawkesbury Canoe Classic – some 110km running from Windsor to Brooklyn.
We did it in a canadian canoe I had made at an after school holiday program with some tiny plastic bladed aluminium shaft  paddles I bought at Big W.
Me and my good friend Greg did that event in just over 20 hours, the second event had a lunar eclipse to boot and we were hanging onto the mangroves towards Spencer as the fog was rolling in and the king tide running past waiting until it turned and we could see something. Life is one big adventure !
36 years down the track I was reminded by the book and ABC mini-series ‘Secret River’ by Kate Grenville about the beauty of the Hawkesbury river and thought it was about time I revisited it. I made a public announcement on Facebook to all my friends viz:
In 1978 and 1979 at the tender age of almost 16 me and my good friend Greg entered the Hawkesbury canoe classic. With the enthusiasm, determination and support of our families - especially dad who drove all night to follow us 20 hours later we completed the 111km journey from Windsor to Brooklyn. Well, nostalgia has got the better of me and I've taken it on as a challenge to do it again this year. Hopefully with the benefit of modern technology and training I'll knock it over in a few hours less. So here it is in writing the goal for this year 26 and 27th October 2013 Hawkesbury. Sponsors, land crew, fellow paddlers and trainers all welcome !
I enrolled and trained, but copped a nasty chest and sinus infection that put the kibosh on completing the event.
Move forward to now. My hankering to go back to the river and kayaking does not and will not go away for a long time yet.

Blog Indexes:


Comments